Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Paying for puppets

France

I’ve come to my senses with the French; they’re not all bad. In fact, they’re really not bad at all. Sometimes the snob factor and “land of supremacy concept” rubs a bit too close to your face, but otherwise it’s swell. The truth is that I’ve really never taken a second look at France when I come racing through within the whole race organization setup. Now I look and I see these beautiful towns that are kept up superbly and wonder how I could have missed it before. That is and will continue to remain a mystery to me. In fact much of what is done in Europe is so forthright that you wonder what happened in the US. Much of the innovation at home is so cock-eyed and done with disregard for those who stand alone that it is synonymous with someone building a water dock on a mountain. Yes!... but wait, why no boats here? Then again, Europe is certainly not perfect and I’d rather pay for myself than for puppets. With that said… one of these days it will all work out and everyone will be called the US.