Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sneak attack

Seattle, WA
Thursday, October 25, 2007

So I was riding Saturday… and I was hit by a runner… A runner? Yes, a runner… You may say that if there was one person destined to be hit by a runner it would be me… but this time it was different. I had no “finger” in it, no “verbal confrontation” nothing… I was meeting up with some guys to go riding in front of a coffee shop, the seats were taken & we were about to go riding so I was on my bike with a foot down just sit’n there chatting about global warming and capitalism... just kidding. But really, not promoting violence in anyway… And wham I’m on the ground wondering what exactly just happened. I look back to see a runner hobbling away, like he’d just hit a cyclist. & it dawns on me that I’d just been hit by a runner… I went after him and he turns out to be like 65 years old, he looks over and says “what’re you doing on the sidewalk? There’s no where to run anymore because the cyclists are on all our trails and sidewalks…” uhh… hmm… stay off the roads, stay off the sidewalks, stay off the trails… back on the trainer for me…