Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Friday, November 10, 2006

Ride'n dirty




North Bend, WA
Friday, November 10, 2006

Is it possible to maintain a routine where you awake at 5:00am? Not if you were me. I could do it for a school year (3/4 of the year) for four years, then it’d be over. Stuff just starts to fall apart after awhile. Even if you get plenty of sleep. I think it’s in your blood or something. Suppose you go to bed at 8:00pm and awake at 5:00am everyday except on weekends, then on weekends you “sleep in” until 6:00am. I bet that it’ll still feel like you didn’t get enough sleep. The reason I mention this is because on the days I go to the gym I wake up at 6:00am… rather early for me… Yesterday I forgot my helmet. I can forget my helmet because my commute is very complex- I drive to Preston, then ride down through Fall City and up into Issaquah on Issaquah-Fall city road & then up to Bally Total Fitness right below Bellevue Community College. Basically if I don’t bring the helmet in the car I realize it when I go to grab it out of my bag in preparation for the ride after arriving in Preston. I’ve concluded that waking up at 6 was cause for the helmet debacle.
In Seattle they have a mandatory helmet law and evidently ticket you if they catch you riding dirty. Not to mention that riding without a helmet is foolish.