Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Of faux and feud

North Bend, WA
Thursday, November 16, 2006

Behold, I saw the sun today! No joke, come dawn this morning the sun barged right in like it was no ones business. I mean, I could get a picture of it, but who’d believe me? Scientists would mull it over and they’d be in agreement that the picture’s fake. That’s how it is these days, you get a picture of a UFO or a Sasquatch and they call you a liar. You’ve just gotta grin ‘n bare it, get in that mental utopia.
Yesterday was a good four and a half hour ride, and I was looking forward to riding outside, but the rain was incessant, it came down like a mudslide and kept coming… and coming. So, I set up the trainer for round… uhh… is it five now? I think so. My personal trainer (ex-Navy Seal) would say “it’s all about the focus, when you’re fighting it doesn’t matter how much it hurts… you give up and you die.” So that’s what I was thinking while I was riding. Of course, thoughts other than evading death did cross my mind, but I can’t think of what they were. I do recall that my mind was rather lucid during those four and half hours, I think most thoughts revolved around the time and arithmetic. Good stuff. I heard this groovy little song while I was listening to the radio too: Wind It Up… Gwen Stephani… Sweet Escape.