Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Infidelis

North Bend, WA
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The weather’s been a little strange of late. It seems that the rain’s gonna continue regardless of how long it’s been falling. Where does all of it come from? Is it scientifically possible for it to rain forever…? I guess this leads to my next point. I’ve successfully completed my 6th ride on the trainer since returning from Spain, three 3.5 hour rides and three 4.5 hour rides. I think this is actually a new record for me, and yes that is saying something. My record is perhaps unmatched. I’ve only departed directly from my house on a ride once since my return; otherwise it’s commuting from Preston or riding the trainer.
I’ve recently acquired a method for validating the legitimacy of stop signs. Here’s how it goes, if you’ve never stopped for a certain stop sign, then that stop sign should be removed (Pretty intense huh? It’s practically a formula in its complexity). I’ve never stopped for a stop sign, so it follows that all stop signs should be removed.
Today, on the way back from the gym, I had a rather unusual experience… well, perhaps unusual for the various rational Human Beings out there, but for the “variety” of infidels, such as I, it’s the kind of thing that happens all the time… I went to the gym at 3:00 pm knowing that it would be dark when I road back to the car, so I brought a couple lights ‘n stuff. I hooked everything up and it emitted a healthy light. Then I got a flat tire & while I was fixing it I looked up at my bike and noticed that the light was much less than before… I finished fixing it and gave the light a little check-up only to decide that indeed the battery was dead. The roads that I do the commute on have very, very little traffic. So I was more concerned about the various forms of wildlife in the woods than getting hit by a rogue Seattleite. It’s strange when you’re out there in the dark riding fast, the night vision kicks in and you have an entirely different perception of reality. I think it’s got something to do with the Quantum theory and mental utopia stuff.