Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Stateside

Gerona, ESP
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006

The Spanish doc doesn't think that the deviation is extreme enough to warrant surgery so I'm com'n back asap. Evidently he thinks I should use medication instead, but I've done that all year and we've already been over that so I'm gonna try getting the surgery in the US instead.
Today I went over to the embassy in Barcelona and "ordered" a replacement of my "mutilated" passport. So it was set to be done in 6 days... which would put it on schedule with my initial date of return. But when I got back here to Gerona, I learned that the surgery had been cancelled and I needed to have the passport rather quickly so I could return. So I called up the embassy to see if they had any options for "extenuating circumstances." They did, I got a temporary one that expires in three months so I can go back home and get a new one in the US. So tomorrow I go back over to the embassy to pick that up and hopefully I can get the flight back in the next couple days after that.