Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In the meantime

Gerona, ESP
Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Now that the season is over I’m taking a month off. That’s all of October… So far I’ve made it two days, it’s kind of strange, it’s like a part of me has been severed. I want nothing more than to not ride my bike, yet I really want to ride it…?! I’ve got no idea what’s going on with that. Since this is supposed to be a month of rest I’m trying to stay off my feet ‘n stuff for at least a couple days. I guess it doesn’t help that everything in Europe is within walking distance, including the various doctors I’ve gone to consult about my surgery with. It’s just far enough that if you haven’t walked for a while then you’re sore the next day. In regard to the surgery… the nasal doctor seems to think that I should just take some medication for a few months… but this is what I’ve done all year long! I’ve built up a resistance to antibiotics I’ve been on them so many times… great. And just come on back over to Spain if it doesn’t work and we’ll go ahead and do the surgery. Quack…quack, quack, quack…
In the meantime, I can’t seem to decide what to do with my time. I kind of wanted to go to the coast or something and explore this place, I mean, it’s not like I’ve been here all year or anything… But I’ve got to make these appointments and when I get a chance go over to the US embassy in Barcelona to get my passport reissued for the second time this year. I lost the first one and I went to get it reissued. Unfortunately the reissued one was a piece of garbage that promptly fell apart. In Europe from country to country they let me use it, but apparently it’s not up to the task for getting back into the US. So I’ve gotta go get it reissued again. Swell.
Since the surgery isn’t scheduled, my date to return to the US isn’t scheduled either.