Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Monday, July 31, 2006

Into thin air

Boulder, CO
Monday, July 31, 2006

Everything’s happened so fast… What can I say? I flew from Seattle about a week ago. The flight was delayed an extra day, so I got to make a trip to the airport on two occasions, thanks of course to United. “Why couldn’t you call or e-mail me, or something?”
“Yeah, uhh, we didn’t know…” Well, there you have it. It’s hard to make a trip these days without United giv’n the runaround one way or another.
I spent the past week doing some endurance length rides at altitude. Boulder has great terrain and roads- I love the pav on the dirt roads. It has pretty much everything you could want in cycling, although it’s a bit too high, and the weather gets altogether unpredictable during the winter. I think I’ve discussed this before though…
After a week of low intensity at ~5500’ I went to a race in Colorado at 8000’- I think this is a good example of “cold turkey” acclimation. It worked pretty well too. During the race my legs would be on and off, but I ended up getting 3rd on the road stage. It was an interesting race, much like Redlands this year without the competition.
Today I did two hours easy, I think were scheduled to depart for the tour of Utah on Saturday.