Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Fixing sickness

North Bend, WA
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The last two stages of Sud didn’t go well at all. I got some pretty bad diarrhea the night before the time trial and another sore throat. I felt absolutely horrible as I was warming up and it got progressively worse as the day continued. During the effort I didn’t feel so bad, but once I got done I started getting chills, then a fever- it all went downhill from there. Once we got to the hotel I went to bed and didn’t get up until the next day when it was deemed that I wouldn’t race the last stage. So basically everything about Sud sucked. The whole process of traveling back to the US after the race was pretty bad too. I was so weak from the diarrhea and being able to eat very little that I felt safest if I had a hand near the wall and took a step every thirty seconds… staying near a toilet at all times.
I’m back in the US now, looking back on how bad my second “go” in Europe was. I’m not sure I can say that I was actually well for a single race. It doesn’t make much since, I mean, my fitness is still really good, and perhaps getting better, yet I get sick like I was totally over trained. What to do? We’ve decided to take a week off and sit out Fitchburg. I’m not sure about it, but usually if I make the decision it’s wrong, so the director makes it instead… and it uhh, well, tends to be right. Strange how that works, must have something to do with experience eh? I can’t say that I’m not looking forward to some quality time at home and away from the bike. It’ll be the perfect break after such a stint in Europe. Home is always so much better after you’ve been in a place like Europe. There’s always this feeling that everything’s perfect, when you’re at home. It’s a great feeling. I think I did a better job of adjusting in Europe this time though, so any future trips should go off even better.
I did end up going to the doctor today to see what my ailments were from Sud. It turns out that the sore throat is now Strep Throat and the diarrhea is “traveler’s diarrhea.” The diarrhea is speculative because it was a bit of a toss-up between the travelers and something else that I can’t recall at the moment. The fix- 10 days antibiotics for the strep throat and 3 for the diarrhea. More good times.