Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Monday, April 17, 2006

“Welcome to the filthy, dirty, south”

Monday, April 17, 2006
Augusta, Georgia

Actually, it’s not that filthy & dirty; that was just my first impression after listening to a certain rap song… Anyway, today it was 90 something degrees, the humidity was intense enough that you could actually perform the “dog paddle” if you were skilled enough- otherwise you wade around in it, like me. I went out for 2 and a half hours this morning, then did an additional hour on the time trial bike. Those two days of indoor heat training on the tt bike I think will end up paying off. For the first time I didn’t feel like I was definitely in the wrong place after getting on, it felt almost… natural.
Last night I went out on the road bike after dinner because we got in late. I wanted to ride for an hour or so just to spin the legs out after the flight. It was still at least 80 degrees out and traffic was literally dead, being Easter Sunday 'n all. Anyway, I ended up just riding out in no particular direction, the city's on a grid so the directions are pretty straight forward. Anyway, I cross the train tracks and all of a sudden it's like the moon came out and I was the only white person in the neighborhood. There were no cars but there was a big barbecue every three blocks with plenty of people that were perfectly happy to drop a comment or two as I rode by. Good times...