Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Fresno, CA- Feb 16, '06

Fresno, CA
February 16, 2005

Today I sported the Time Trial bike for the first time several times around the time trial course. It looks pretty good; it’s a rolling loop with a fairly aggressive winding downhill. I rode the downhill section several times to make sure I had the gist of the best way to hold my speed through the turns. Since I’ve never had a TT bike set up specifically for me I’m pretty psyched about it, especially to have one of such a high caliper. The team TT bike (Javelin) is super fast looking and super fast riding; I doubt there will be a ride of higher par than that of Javelins in the peloton this year.
We’ve been in Fresno for the last two days, and I’ve gotta say that it’s debunked my previous presumption that it was an ugly urban area. In truth it’s quite beautiful. It’s surrounded by green hills embossed with little farms and winding country roads. The total population is only 118,000, much less than I had thought. However, it does sport the growth of all California towns, and I’m sure that an invasion of classic California housing developments is imminent.