Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Boulder, CO- Feb 12, '06

Boulder, CO
February 12, 2006

Well, the cold departs as quickly as it arrives. Today it was 60 degrees at 5500 feet in Colorado during the dead of winter. I won’t even pause to ponder how that can possibly be. I know one thing though; I prefer to know what it’s going to do so I can plan for a consistent slate of training unaltered by variable weather. We call that “mild weather.” You see, in Washington this is what we have, in Colorado they have harsh weather. Again, I would much prefer to have webbed toes like a duck than an extra layer of blubber like an Eskimo. Webbed toes are not a hindrance, blubber is. Wet weather is not a hindrance, cold weather is.
On this 60 degree day, I went for a 5 hour 20 minute group ride. It was pretty fast, but I was amazed by the depth of the talent and the extraordinary cycling community in Boulder. The population is 100,000 in Boulder, and I swear that there were at least 10,000 people out riding their bikes today. I know that I’m starting early this year, but it seems like a lot of these guys from Boulder prefer to continue doing the intervals over the winter, ‘cause they’re hitting it hard out there. We were riding in our group, & every 2 minutes or so, some guy would go by on his bike just gunning it- like he’s out doing one six hour interval. I wonder what it would be like to do a race out here, everyone probably fights for the front so that they can sit in the wind and gun it, probably lined straight across the road doing like 450 watts each. Crazy… & in the dead of winter- I must say that at a loss for words I am.