Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Friday, February 10, 2006

Boulder, CO- Feb 10, '06

Boulder, CO
February 10, 2006

I think there’s something about me that brings bad weather, whether it’s because I’m from Washington or I just come at inopportune times I don’t know. But I do know that when I checked Boulder’s weather while I was in Girona, it was very nice. Things change when I arrive- I woke up this morning to 14 degrees, snow and icy roads. What can I say?
Despite the “unpleasant” conditions, I had to keep my second visit to the chiropractor at 9:30, and since I’m here with a bike I had to get there on two, skinny tires. I have to admit that it was a bit awkward traveling on snowy roads on a road bike while everyone’s driving their “four-wheel drives” with chains. But the important thing was making the appointment, right? I wonder if he minded that I was soaking wet? Probably not, I suppose he prefers that over a broken back.
Nonetheless, the fact that it snowed today wasn’t of primary concern. I checked the weather yesterday and adjusted the training so that I could have the snow day off. I ended up spending much of the day washing the ice and sand off my bike after riding a total of ~3 miles. Yeah, it did dawn on me that the bike was totally covered in dirt after riding for 20 minutes, how that can be I know not.
On the way back from the chiropractor I was finally able to buy a new charger for my cell phone. I’ve been keeping it turned off to preserve “emergency battery” because I blew the charger out plugging it into a euro outlet. It’s a bit confusing, but I discovered that some cords can handle both euro and American outlets, and some can’t. My computer’s can and my cell phone’s couldn’t. I needed a converter for my cell phone not just an adapter I guess. Anyway, the new charger that I got can handle both the American and the Euro outlets so I’m all set & and only set back $38. That’s farcical- but I’ll just right it off, too. I wonder if I could’ve bought a new cell phone for $38, maybe an unlocked one on eBay. Maybe not.